Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Waiting Game

How interesting is it that my first official preaching assignment here in Louisville would be on Psalm 6? Not a Psalm I was particularly familiar with. But I had to laugh when I first read it, even as I was coming out of the haze of my Achilles-repair surgery. "My bones are in agony... how long, O Lord, how long?" So I'm preaching this week about waiting for the Lord. Definitely not something I am particularly good at. In fact, it might be one of the things I am considerably bad at. Back when I could drive Kristin would often hold me back from passing road hazards on small country roads like a farmer with a load of hay, a big mower deck or one of those scooters that can't really keep up with cars... Yes, like Indigo in the Princess Bride, "I hate waiting."

Nevertheless, here I am - immobilized until September. Waiting on new insurance cards; waiting on that 10-14 day post-op visit (it's now day 16) to change my lovely leg dressing; waiting to bathe normally again; waiting to drive again; waiting to walk again without crutches. And now trying to actually learn what it means to wait for the Lord.

(p.s. next week I preach on Psalm 7 - about enemies, persecution and injustice... please join Kristin in praying that God does not give me as immediate an illustration for that lesson.)

No comments:

Post a Comment